Recommended Cat and Dog Vaccinations
Routine vaccinations are an important part of keeping your pet healthy. At Vista Animal Hospital, we take a practical approach to vaccinations. Not every cat or dog needs to be vaccinated against every possible disease.
That said, cat and dog vaccinations are a part of the preventive care we recommend and provide. And the vaccines we use here are safe and have minimal risks for side effects.
We’ll talk with you about which vaccines are right for your pet. Dr. Bonnie Abbott will personalize a vaccination routine based on your pet’s age, medical history, travel habits, and lifestyle. Dog and cat vaccinations are given every 1-3 years depending on the vaccine, your pet’s lifestyle, and other factors such as any underlying diseases that they have.
Vaccines for Kittens and Puppies
Kittens and puppies should get recommended vaccines every 3-4 weeks until they’re approximately 16 weeks old. After that, they will receive the regular maintenance vaccine schedule that we personalize for your pets needs. See more about kitten and puppy wellness exams.
Dog Vaccinations—Adult Routine
- DHPP—for Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus
- Bordetella—Kennel Cough (depending on risk and lifestyle)
- Leptospirosis (depending on risk and lifestyle)
Cats Vaccinations—Adult Routine
- FVRCP—Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus (feline herpesvirus 1), Calicivirus, Panleukopenia
- Feline Leukemia (depending on risk and lifestyle)